I had no idea these had been around so long. The design has barely changed!
I don’t normally do a how-the-sausage-is-made post about my silly little pictures, but these sources are so much cooler than what I made!
And that’s before we get to the wild ride that is Page 15 of the June 9, 1967 edition of the Santa Cruz Sentinel:
First of all, look at the range of styles of the movies:
- The Sound of Music
- The Caper of the Golden Bulls, a heist movie with music by Vic Mizzy (he wrote the theme for The Addams Family)
- The Tramplers, a two year old (at the time) Joseph Cotten spaghetti western
- Hawaii – that’s right: TWO Julie Andrews films!
- In Like Flint , the continuation of the FCU
- Not With My Wife, You Don’t!
- A Funny Thing Happened on the Way to the Forum
- Sergeants 3, a Rat Pack western
- Chuka, ANOTHER western
- Hatari!, a John Wayne “big game hunter for zoos” movie probably best known now for Henry Mancini’s Baby Elephant Walk
- The Blue Max
- Casino Royale (playing with a Disney short!)
- Wild on the Beach – A wacky beach movie with Sonny & Cher
If you weren’t in the mood for a movie, you could go to the Poison Spring Lounge and hear the Velvetones, or dance at Eagles Hall, or go to the free buffet at the grand opening of Ramando’s. If you were a senior citizen (which would make you about 120 now), go to the clubhouse and get breakfast.
And I love the articles. The “Women Soldiers” article starts with “…Israel’s shapely girl soldiers have been right behind the frontline troops.” At least they didn’t go with “G-G-G-GIRLLLLSSS? In the ARMY?”
Kids today and their crazy television shows. Technology is separating the generations! Good thing that’s fixed now.
There was a time when not every movie was based on a comic book, when movies didn’t have years of hype leading up to their release. I remember being a kid and scanning the newspaper for new movies. You never knew what you’d find.
Sadly, I can’t find any trace of this movie online. Like many lost films of the past, it’s as if it never existed.
Is it bad that I kind of want this?